Essential Home Skills Handbook: Everything You Need to Know as a New Homeowner (Black & Decker) (Paperback)
BLACK+DECKER Essential Home Skills Handbookoffers 100+ beginner-friendly solutions for common household headaches, with achievable DIY projects and full-color step photos and illustrations.
Whether you’re moving from an apartment to yourfirst homeor you’re inspired to tackle a particular home project, we’re glad you’re here! If you’ve decided it’s time to fix that dripping faucetor a small gutter leak before it becomes a big problem, let’s get to it.
Written by the knowledgeable editors at Cool Springs Press—recognized experts in DIY home improvement and maintenance with more than thirty years of experience in home improvement and hundreds of best-selling books under the BLACK+DECKER brand—this is DIY instruction you can trust. While we also publish expert-level guides on everything from plumbing to wiring, this book is designed to be different: it’s a plain-language resourcewith directions not for experts, but for anyone looking to learn more about their home and make it better.
Inside, you’ll find directions for 100+ common home repairs and maintenance tasks, with an eye toward the most common issues people have in their home. Whether you need to fix a leaky faucet, cure garbage disposal odors, stop a door from squeaking, or bring a dead electrical outlet back to life, everything a budding DIYer needs is between the covers. A sample of the projects inside includes:
- Home Heating and Cooling: Install v-strip door weather stripping, install adhesive foam window weather stripping, seal air leaks, insulate an attic or crawl space, caulk windows and doors, install a smoke detector, replace a bathroom fan, clean and maintain a central AC unit, replace a furnace filter, seal and insulate ductwork, install a ceiling fan, replace an exterior dryer vent.
- Structural Openings:Hang a new door, install a lockset, install a screen or storm door, install bi-fold closet doors, maintain a sliding glass door, replace a window pane, patch a window screen.
- Plumbing:Install a touchless faucet, repair a pop-up drain stopper, repair the four most common types of faucets, repair a kitchen sink sprayer, install a pedestal sink, unclog a sink, adjust shower water temperature, repair a leaking shut off valve, replace a toilet o-ring or flush mechanism, drain your water heater, recaulk a tub, insulate water pipes.
- Electrical Issues: Install undercabinet lighting, install a dimmer switch, upgrade an outlet to GFCI, install a whole house surge protector, fix a dead outlet, replace a light fixture.
- Interior Surfaces:Fix a wall crack, install a backsplash, hang a floating shelf, fix damaged tile countertop, fix floor squeaks, repair water damage.
- Exterior Concerns: Fix a roof hole, replace shingles, patch a steel gutter, install gutter screens, repair or replace roof flashing, maintain a garage door, repair damaged siding, stiffen or reinforce an unstable deck, install a floodlight.
Clear, easy-to-follow instructions with photos of each step lead the way. This is a book that gives you morepower and control over your home, saves frustration, and ideally, helps save some moneyas well.
The Editors of Cool Springs Press have produced the highest quality DIY home improvement books for more than 30 years. In conjunction with the experts at BLACK+DECKER they have combined resources to create more than 200 home improvement titles that provide consumers and weekend DIYers with the information they need to get the job done right. Their books have set the standard for do-it-yourself publishing, featuring clear, professional photography and concise step-by-step instructions that get straight to the point. View our full catalog at quartoknows.com.
Chris Peterson is a veteran home improvement and design author. Among the many books he has written are Barndominiums, 5-Gallon Bucket Book, Building with Secondhand Stuff, Manskills, four books in the Ideas You Can Use series, and many books in Cool Springs Press’s BLACK+DECKER Complete Guide series. He has also co-authored numerous home design books with noted media celebrities. He lives in Ashland, Oregon.