A Healthier Home: The Room by Room Guide to Make Any Space A Little Less Toxic (Hardcover)
—Dr. Vivian Chen, MD, founder of Plateful Health and Detox Right
With all the time spent at home in recent years, you probably realize how much the inside of your home contributes to your mental and physical health, for better or worse. But did you know that the Environmental Protection Agency estimates that indoor air is 2–5 times (and occasionally more than 100 times) more polluted than outdoor air?
The good news is that you can control and improve the environment inside your home, and A Healthier Home provides an accessible, room-by-room roadmap for doing just that. Wherever you are on your journey to a healthier home, author and founder of A Little Less Toxic, Shawna Holman, offers realistic steps you can take to maintain a less toxic living environment that aligns with your values. Create a healthy, happy living space with simple swaps and hacks for banning hidden harms in every room:
- Kitchen: Finding the best cookware, helpful tools and gadgets, safe serving ware and food storage, all about supplements, buying cleaning products, DIY cleaning products
- Laundry Room: Washing machine and detergent recommendations, DIY spot treatment, whitening without bleach, treating stains, clotheslines, tips and tricks
- Bathroom: Toiletries, oral hygiene, water (including chlorine and fluoride), self-care, skincare and a few DIY skincare recipes, medicine cabinet, hair training, cleaning (including deep cleaning/going beyond the basics of the kitchen!)
- Bedroom: Mattress shopping, pillows, linens, all about certifications and materials, condoms and lubrication, pregnancy prevention/fertility, sleeping tips, blue light, hacks and tips for cleaning in the bedroom
- Living Room: Indoor air quality, air purifiers, filters, furniture and rugs (materials and more), air fresheners (key swaps, essential oil how-tos, and candle info), mold mindfulness, EMF protection
- Garden: Lawn care, sun protection, insect protection, after-sun care, and grounding
From tackling toxins and revamping your kitchen to making a greener garden and ensuring cleaner laundry, A Healthier Home will aid you in creating a sustainable, safe lifestyle that benefits both your mind and body. Every corner of your home can be made to better serve you and your family—it’s just a matter of getting started!
Shawna Holman, founder of A Little Less Toxic is a mother, a wife, and a dedicated teacher. After battling life-altering health issues, Shawna was determined to find long-lasting and healthy solutions rather than harmful quick-fixes. In 2013, she began her journey towards making radical health improvements through small life changes, taking her followers along for the ride. By seeking out, implementing, and sharing her life transformation, Shawna motivates her audience to support their health and healing through sustainable, realistic, and mindful lifestyle changes. Since healing her health issues and finding solace in creating a healthy home environment, Shawna is intent on sharing her story and helping those looking to live life A Little Less Toxic. Find her online at alittlelesstoxic.com.
"A Healthier Home is now the go-to resource for realistic and safe alternatives to toxic home products that fill up your “Rain Barrel” and lead to poor health, low mood, a lack of energy, and eventually disease. Shawna has made becoming a little less toxic fun and easy for the whole family!”
—Dr. Stephen Cabral, Board Certified Doctor of Naturopathy and author of The Rain Barrel Effect
“If you are looking for a tangible, stress-free guide to protect you and your family from everyday environmental toxins, THIS IS IT! Living a low-tox life doesn't have to be expensive or overwhelming. Shawna simplifies it all, provides wonderful DIY recipes, and gives you the step-by-step in this book.”—Dr. Vivian Chen, MD, MBBS MRCP MRCGP BSc, founder of Plateful Health and Detox Right
“A Healthier Home is a must-have guide for anyone looking to create a non-toxic, environmentally safe space for the whole family. As a practicing Environmental Medicine doctor for more than 20 years, this is one of the best books I’ve seen that addresses the total toxic load we all get exposed to on a daily basis and practical ways to make us all healthier and more resilient.”—Darin Ingels, ND, FAAEM and Fellow, American Academy of Environmental Medicine
“Shawna has made a huge impact in my life. The way she teaches makes me not only feel smarter—I feel loved, understood, and supported. I am beyond honored to call her my friend and equally honored to share her tips, examples, and style with everyone I know!”—Angi Greene Fletcher, founder of Mamoosh Productions Inc. and angi5.com
“It can be overwhelming to discover that your home (and everything inside it) is likely made from harmful toxins. Luckily, Shawna has always had the unique ability to share information in a way that makes it simple, fun, and approachable. Her writing challenges me to think critically and take one small step at a time towards a life with more health, freedom, hope, and joy (with lots of laughter along the way)!” —Dr. Courtney Kahla, DC, founder of Our Well House, Nervous System Chiro Database, and DrCourtneyKahl