Usually Ships in 1-5 Days
Enrich your knowledge of substance abuse treatment solutions used in diverse cultures within the United States This informative volume highlights ways in which substance abuse problems are experienced and addressed by families in diverse populations at the societal, familial, and individual levels. Its scope is broad, providing you with information about the experiences and, in some cases, healing of diverse groups of people in the United States. These include African-American and Latino families, Hawaiian elders, Asian/Pacific Islanders of various sexual persuasions, Al-Anon members, and welfare recipients.What's good for the goose is not necessarily good for the gander. What works for one social/cultural group may not be at all helpful for another. Substance Abuse Issues Among Families in Diverse Populations will inform and enlighten you about the ways that people from various backgrounds respond to treatment and about the culture-specific treatments and interventions that work for them. This unique book examines:
- mandatory drug testing of welfare recipients, or "conditional welfare"
- kinship support in the cultural context of Latino and African-American families
- how Hawaiian elders contribute in the treatment of Asian and Pacific Islander women for substance abuse, and the time-honored Hawaiian family intervention strategy "Hooponopono"
- the results of a study focused on the types and extent of social support that Asian and Pacific Islander males received from their parents after revealing that they were both gay and HIV-positive
- the results of interviews with Al-Anon members about their experiences in watching their spouses slip into alcoholism
- the relationship between family involvement and the effectiveness of substance abuse treatment programsSocial workers, counselors, psychologists, those involved in ethnic studies, and anyone interested in diversity issues in general or substance abuse in particular will find Substance Abuse Issues Among Families in Diverse Populations of great value.